One of the blogs I follow avidly is Simplicity by Late Blossom. I just find everything she does so inspiring. She recently had a couple of posts on masking and I really loved what she did so I thought I'd have a play (if you look through her archive list you can see the posts I mean).
The top card was made by first stamping the little girl from Lost Coast in Pine Needles Distress Ink and then masking her (not quite how it was done on the Simplicity blog but the little girl is not a silhouette stamp and I didn't want the background to show on her dress, etc). Then I put a mask over the card so I would have 1cm all round the edge, and filled in the middle with a Dandylion stamp (Hot off the Press Botanicals) in Peeled Paint Distress Ink (I stamped without re-inking to get the different shades). I think this is my favourite of all of them.
The next one didn't actually have any masking as my background stamp was not that big. I stamped the French Script (Creative Expressions) in Shabby Shutters Distress Ink and then the lovely floral florish from Inkadinkado Garden Flowers Clear set, in Pine Needles (and the little sentiment from the same set.
Next I again used the french script stamp but this time stamped it in Sand ink and added the corner floral florishes (Inkadinkado Garden Flowers) and butterflies in Sepia (sorry I did these at a friends and used her inks and now I can't remember which inks these were!!!)
The last two were again done by stamping the images in black (both images from Paper Artsy Vintage Nudes Plate 2), masking them, then masking a border around the card edges and stamping over the top with a large background stamp - this time a brocade stamp from DoCrafts in Brilliance Pearlescent Beige.
I really enjoyed doing these and will see what other stamps I've got that I can do this with.