Monday, 17 October 2011

Crafty Cardmakers Challenge 54 - Cute with a Dark Twist

At Crafty Cardmakers this week the theme is Cute with a Dark Twist.  We are sponsored this week by the lovely Joanna Sheen who is offering a £10 voucher to one lucky winner for her on-line store.  What is Cute with a Dark Twist, I hear you say?  Well, some of the team (but not all) have gone for a cute Halloween theme.  My own twisted sense went for something different! 



I started with a tag from Crafty Individuals which I coloured by inking through sequin waste with ColorBox Chalk ink in roughe and pigment ink in Robins Egg and Glacier Ice.  Then I sprayed over the top with Silver Sugar and Kiwi Glimmer Mist and mounted the tag onto burgundy card.  I stamped the little girl (from Tim Holtz's The Girls set) and paper pieced her dress with paper from Basic Grey Hello Lucious pad paper.  I also used some of the paper on the tag.  The 'alternative' Little Miss Muffet rhyme was printed on my computer (ending written by myself) and matted onto burgundy card.  Then I added some bling and fibres.

The box was made out of the same Basic Grey pad and lined with Doodlebug Crushed Velvet card in Ladybug, then a brad and fibre to make it easier to open the box.

The lovely spider is made from beads and wire.  I used a flower bead for her (definitely a her) body, a round crystal for her head and then silver bugle beads and clear seed beads for her legs. 

19 comments:

Josephine said...

This is fabulous! I love that beaded spider - it's just gorgeous. And your dark twist is wonderfully original and devious.

Sally said...

Hi Jack, what an amazing bead spider, I just don't have the patience to try bead work but I can see you do. Nice take on the challenge.
Sally x

Cath Wilson said...

Absolutely wonderful, Jack. Did you ever read Nursery Crimes by Roald Dahl? My kids had a copy when younger and I loved it so much my youngest bought it for me last year - flipping brilliant. You'd love it! Love the spider but Little Miss Muffet is brilliant and I love the background, too x

Scrapcat 1 said...

I do like your spider Jack and the ending for little miss muffet is great.

PetraB said...

I love your twist and this spider is sooo AMAZING!

Debbie said...

Oh My Soul! I laughed right out loud! Great spider! Love the tag a box! Excellent!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- love your beaded spider- excellent twist! Love your tag too- wonderful image- love the colors you used.

Sharon said...

LOl this is great - made me laugh!! Love your spider!!!

Bea und Doreen said...

what a cool tag !!!
and the spider ist stunning.
Have a nice day
Doreen xx

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is fab! Love the little girl, love the rhyme, and that spider is amazing. Clever girl! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow,

Lucy x

melsanford said...

What a fab spider! It's brilliant! And I love the ending to your poem :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

Mags said...

The spider is just amazing! I love your new ending to the Nursery Rhyme, too!

luv, Mags x

Susie said...

I LOVE your spider!! Susie x

Feebsy said...

I really love your interpretation of the theme we had. Even though I really don't like spiders at all I think your bead one is fabulous, it's so original.

Feebsy
xx

Kim x said...

Cute spider, if it is possible for them to be cute. Personally i hate them, and moths, but this one I could live with lol.
Hugs Kimx

Cindy-Up In Northern Michigan said...

Wonderful twist on the rhyme...and the spider is awesome!

Papercraft By Carole said...

Wow!! That spider is absolutely brilliant!! Cxx

J said...

You know, I love the tag, and it's a really cool twist - but the contents of the box... that's another story. It's beautiful but as I really, really, don't like spiders I think I'd have to leave the box closed!

Jackie x

Marjie Kemper said...

Love your version of MM, Jack! How cool to piece the girl's dress and your box and spider are amazing.