Thursday, 25 August 2011

Little bird, I have heard . . .


I decided to  make a parchment card for a friend's birthday, and as she is a keen birdwatcher, this one ws an obvious choice.  The pattern is from an old Parchment Craft magazine (September 2009) and by Mary G Kerr.  I started with the outer layer.  In the original pattern, this was done on blue fantasy parchment but as I didn't have any I used some printed vellum I got ages ago (sorry no make on it).  I traced the flower pattern with gold pen and gently embossed it, but I'm not sure how effective that was as the patterned vellum hides the embossing.  The inner layer was made by placing my parchment over an outline of a Blue Tit and then using my Derwent Studio Pencils to draw/colour it.  I also drew the branch and part of the buds with pencil but traced the flowers and white part of the buds with white pen before embossing them. Finally I added some dorsing on the back of the parchment behind the bird.  I really like putting drawing birds on parchment but have only got patterns for Blue Tits and Robins.  Must search out some more.

6 comments:

Dr Sonia S V said...

Jack so happy your health is allowing you to make more parchment cards. This is exquisite. I love the way the bird looks and the framed effect is stunning! Lucky friend of yours to get this showpiece item!

Cheers from Bangalore ,India
Dr Sonia S V
http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

lynne said...

Pretty and also so elegant.
Your friend will love and treasure this card.
Lynne x

Judie aka Craftymess said...

oh jack i really love this, well done i really think this is your best bit of work xx

Birgit said...

What a beautiful card. I love the dorso colour in the backgound. This is sweet and again-the detail! The bird is really well done.

Cath Wilson said...

Beautifully done, Jack and the blue tit is so beautifully coloured. Love this x

melsanford said...

A beautiful card! Absolutely gorgeous :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx