Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Crafty Cardmakers Spotlight - Masking

It's my turn to choose the theme for this week over at Crafty Cardmakers Spotlight and I came up with a favourite - Masking!  What I'd like to see is any sort of masking.  You can mask your main image to stamp over it, use torn paper as a mask to make a background, use a ready bought mask to create something.   And I'd love a short description of how you used your mask.  We are offering a fabulous prize of a lovely Crafts and Me stamp (Flapper 2 Melody) to one lucky winner.  Go check out my teamies fabulous creations but in the meantime here's what I did (picture alert - lots of them, lol).
One of my favourite techniques at the moment is masking on a One Layer Card so that is what I went for.  I decided to have my main image (my favourite rhino) 'escaping' from his background.


I started with a white, square card blank and worked out where I needed my background to be.  I put feint pencil lines to show this and then stamped my rhino (English Stamp Comnpany) in Stampin' Up Basic Grey.  If you look closely at the second picture (you can click on it to make it bigger) you can just about see the pencil lines.

Next I stamped my rhino onto a post-it-note, cut him out and placed him over the top of the stamped image on my card.  Doesn't he look cute in green!  I didn't bother to mask his shadow (too much fiddly cutting out) as it was going to be outside my  background square.
Next I masked off my background square with post-it-notes.  First I cut my square out of one note with my Nestabilities as I'm useless at cutting a perfect square.  As I had already measured (very carefully) where the square would be and marked it with pencil I placed my mask in exactly the right position and added more post-it-notes so I didn't get ink anywhere else on the card.  You can see the rhino peeking out of the corner.

Next I tore strips of paper to make the background.  For the ground I used SU River Rock and sponged the ink below the mask making the colour more intense nearer the bottom.   I did the same, but in reverse for the sky, using SU Baja Breeze and this time sponging above the mask.
So, here is what it looks like after all that masking and sponging.  At first I always think it looks a bit of a mess, but you have to be firm with yourself, stop before you over-do it, and most importantly of all, believe in the magic.
Et voila!!!  All masks removed (not forgetting to rub out the pencil marks) and you have the gorgeous rhino escaping from a rather fabby background.  I felt this needed just a touch more 'something' so . . .
. . . here is my final card.  I've added a branch (Stampscapes) to the top left corner to balance the runaway rhino.
I really enjoyed making this card and can't wait to see what other people come up with.

21 comments:

Sharon said...

wow this looks great! Really good effect and great demonstarion of how to achieve it!!

Mags said...

Terrific! The landscape looks so good! The rhino looks like he's coming straight out of the card - fab 3D effect!

luv, Mags x

The Rogue Redhead said...

Completely awesome! Gorgeous one layer card. Thanks for sharing how to do it too!

PetraB said...

So cool, absolutely terrific card.

Wishcraft said...

Oh wow Jack, this is fabulous! Love it so much :o) Lisa x

Willy said...

Amazing creation and great tutorial!

lynne said...

So much work but well worth all the effort and I am sure a great sense of satisfaction on seeing the completed card.
Lynne x

Beverly Gotthardt said...

Very effective one layer, your tutorial is wonderful. You made this technique look very doable even for beginners.

Eiglas said...

Super card Jack, and an excellent example of the technique!
Hugs
Ei
x

Marjie Kemper said...

Great card and wonderful tute!

Jingle said...

Oh, wow! I love this! The background is amazing!!!

Lynn Stevens said...

looks great, I like how you did the boxed area.

Cath Wilson said...

Beautiful, Jack and fabby, clear instructions! You should do more... x

Michele said...

fabulous! thanks for the tutorial. xo

melsanford said...

Oh wow! This is fab - thankyou for sharing the techniques :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

Terry said...

Awesome masking! Great card and design!

judyjstamper said...

awesome Jack. it's just like you wanted - the Rhino is running away!

Melly said...

Fab card!
Thanks for the know how! I have wondered how you done this!
Hugs M xxx

Lynne in NI said...

WOW! I love the effect of your background.... I'm definately going to give that a try now that I've studied your tutorial!

Lin said...

Wow Jack this is just stunning, fab tutorial too.

You wouldn't want this fabulous beast rushing towards you in real life, lol.

Lin xx

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is amazing, you are so good at masking, such professional results

Lucy x