Monday, 6 June 2011

Crafty Cardmakers Spotlight - Parchment

Warning: long post and lots of pictures, LOL
Over at Crafty Cardmakers Spotlight Jacki has set the challenge of making something with Parchment.  Now all you need is some parchment paper and a few tools that you probably already have - some kind of embossing tool (a ball tool) and something for poking holes (a pokey tool, lol).  There are loads of free patterns available on the internet and it's a great technique.  I really love parchment and have not done much lately as I've been suffering from carpel tunnel but as that is getting better, and provided I don't over-do it, I'm back making things out of this fab material.  Go check out what my teamies have made but here are my contributions:


My first 'make' was an elephant.  Yep, an ELEPHANT!  I've made this pattern before and just love it.  It's amazing what you can make out of this stuff - it's sooooo tough.  I traced the little beastie with white pencil and gold pen and added some colour to his roses and ankles with felt pen.  I then used a straight grid to make the patterns on his ears, trunk, legs and back.  Then I cut him out.  The hardest part was making his legs stay together but it's amazing what a bit of double-sided tape can do, lol.


For this card I used a pattern by Judith Marsden that doesn't need too much embossing.  I traced the tutu and the surrounding square with white pencil, then her hair with black pen and the rest with a sepia pen.  I embossed the tutu,, her hairband, her hair highlights and her hairband,  then coloured the ballerina on the back with Derwent Studio Pencils, adding a little extra on the front for added depth.  Then I used a semi-circule tool and a sun tool to make the square around her.  The corner decorations were made using a Pergamano Multi Grid (No. 6).  I then mounted it onto some rainbow card with some lovely pearly brads.
I'd like to enter my elephant in the following challenges:
June Blog Challenge - Schools Out - the monsters are loose
Paper Crafting Journey - Anything Goes/Your favourite technique
Delightful Challenges - Jungle Theme
Bloggers Challenge - Pets (now who wouldn't like an elephant for a pet, lol!)
Word Play Weekend - Tails (my elephant has the cutest tail!)

22 comments:

lynne said...

The elephant is fantabulous (have I made that word up?) anyway that's the word that jumped into my head on seeing it.
The card is full of grace and elegance.
Lynne x

Basement Stamper said...

Wonderful job on the elephant, how creative! Love the ballerina as well, beautiful! thanks for joining us at Blogger's Challenge.

cg said...

Holy Ganesh, this is amazing! You handcut the back?! So so gorgeous. I really want to try it...

Beverly Gotthardt said...

Your little elephant is stunning. Never know it was a first.

Josephine said...

Jack, I think you're what's known as an 'over-achiever'! That elephant is just fabulous - so different - and your card is gorgeous. I've never tried parchment craft although I love the effects you get.

Ellie said...

What amazing creations!! Love that ballerina!!

Lin said...

OMG there are not enough words to describe what I think of this absolutely phantasmagorical elephant creation. Gorgeous, stunning, sublime, they'll do for starters.

The ballerina is just beautiful too.

You are such a talented lady Jack!

Lin xx

melsanford said...

Oh these are beautiful! The elephant is amazing! Sorry I haven't been around much this past week. Half term is always busy! Your roses are gorgeous too, btw :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

Eiglas said...

Jack these are stunning! Clearly, parchmentcraft is one of your fortes!
Lovely work Hunni!
Hugs
Ei
x

Nana Connie said...

Can't believe how superb that elephant is! WOW. Love the ballerina card, too. I had almost forgotten about parchment papers. I'll have to dig through the stash and work with them again. TFS

Ida said...

Wow your elephant is beautiful. Thanks for joining the BC Pet challenge.

JP Card Crazy said...

Your Elephant is awesome!!!

MezzoKat said...

The elephant is amazing! Love the graceful ballerina.

jackid said...

Hi Jack you already know I love these thanks for joining us at PCJ with them speak soon
Jacki xx

2amscrapper said...

love that elephant pattern! the ballerina piece is lovely.

Lisa Somerville said...

How beautiful! The elephant is just stunning! Thanks for joining us at the Bloggers Challenge!

Anita said...

Stunning! Thanks for joining us at Delightful Challenges.

NancyD said...

Wow! That's a lot of parchment work and fine detail. Your entry in our Delightful Challenges is very creative and a beautiful work of art. Thanks for joining us.

Wishcraft said...

Wow Jack, fab creations! That elephant is amazing :o) Lisa x

Gerri Herbst said...

The elephant is enormously fantastic! LOL. Brillant piece. Love the ballet dancer too.
take care, gerri

Carole of Brum said...

Flipping heck, Jack, is there anything you can't do? these are beautiful, can't believe the elephant and how delicate it looks. Fabulous work. CoB

Dana C (KyStamper) said...

The elephant is beautiful !!