Saturday, 28 May 2011

What's Growing Friday

Over on Trisha's blog she has started What's Growing Friday.  I'm not sure if this is going to be a regular thing or a one-off.  All you have to do is post what is growing in your yard (garden for us Brits) or art room, sewing room or kitchen.  Then use her new linky toy to link to her post.  Well, I had actually taken some pics of my garden as I've been inspired to get busy out there by my friend Mel who has started an allotment.  She is growing all sorts of things so along with my few flowers and my fruit trees I've got some veg on the go too.  So, here is what I've got in my garden (you can click on the pictures to make them larger):











The first picture is of my owl planter with violas in and my Mum's statue that I inherited.  The second is a picture of my tiered herb garden, I've just replanted the top tier so it's got some catching up to do.










I'm not brilliant at growing flowers but I seem to be OK with hardy geraniums and this fab peony (Bowl of Beauty) seems to be doing OK too.


 
These are my growbags and veg plot.  I've got tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, marrow and a pumpkin.  Some of the plants were grown from seed by a friend.  My DH made the frame for the tomatoes - I think he believes they may try to escape so he's made the frame really sturdy, lol.

 

These last two pics are from the front garden.  As I said I'm not brilliant with flowers and roses don't do too well unless they are climbers, which I seem to be really, really good at!  This is the only one in flower at the moment.  It has covered most of the side and front of the house and is called Albertine.  Then there is this little tub of pansies by the front door (maybe I should have weeded underneath before I took the pic but then weeds are another thing I'm good at growing).










These are my fruit trees.  I've got a crab apple (John Downie), two apple trees (Bramley and James Grieve), two pear trees (Comice and a new, tiny Concord) and a plum (Victoria).  The plum is not looking great as a visitor I had staying once decided it needed pruning and cut it in half so it's not got many branches left.  I've not given up on it yet as it's such a 'trier'.

Go check out Trisha's blog and see what other people have growing.

9 comments:

lynne said...

I loved this stroll around your garden. Really lovely Jack.
Wishes
Lynne

melsanford said...

Wow! What a fab garden! Your veggies all look like they're doing really well and the herbs look lovely too. The peony is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing your piccies with us (and for giving my blog a mention!) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

trisha too said...

Beautiful, Jack! The peony is really gorgeous; I've never seen one quite like it. My daughter planted a couple of rose bushes this year, so we'll see how that works out--yours is SO pretty.

Thank you for sharing your weekend with me, and playing along with the new linky toy!!

:)

Sharon said...

Beautiful garden! Great pictures and thanks so much for sharing them!

Terry said...

I want to come and live in your yard! Beautiful yard and I am so glad you shared this! Have a great weekend!

2amscrapper said...

Thanks for the walk around your garden.

Micupoftea~ said...

Love your owl planter, Jack, and the herb beds! I used to have a large herb garden with a pretty gazing ball, but this house has a much smaller yard. I now have most of my herbs in pots. Just got some Catmint for our kitty :)
p.s. thx for visiting

Beverly Gotthardt said...

You girls have some beautiful gardens, makes my senses shimmer.

Melly said...

Wow!
Wish my garden was doing as good as this!! Your4s is fab, everything growing so well and beautifully!
Look at your veggies, so good!
Hugs M xxxx