Friday, 1 April 2011

Self Awareness

I was looking through all the things I've made recently and realised, like Picasso, I'm going through my Blue Period.  Well in my case it's Blue/Purple/Turquoise.  I was quite surprised because if you asked me my favourite colour I wouldn't have name any of these.  Nearly everything I've made recently has either been totally done in these colours or one of them has sneaked in somewhere.   And looking down at what I'm wearing as I type this it's blue and purple! This got me thinking about other things I do and I realised that I'm no good at grunge.  I'd like to think I can do it but every 'grungy' item I start always heads towards the 'neat and tidy' corner, lol.  Unless of course you are talking housework and my efforts in that department are definitely on the grungy side.  Another thing I know about myself is that I'm a very erratic blogger.  Nothing for days and then a whole load of posts all at one.  My jewellery making falls into this category too.
So today I decided to try and go in another direction, something not in my usual colours and not my usual style.  I chose Andy Warhol as my inspiration.  Looking through some of his pictures I decided to do a C.A.S.E. of his Mickey Mouse print.  Now it's done, guess what colour has sneaked in - turquoise!
If you look closely at my background you will see my neat and tidy streak asserted itself.  I quartered my base and masked off 3 sections so I could work on each quarter separately.  Then I cut a mask so I could colour the quarters all the same.  I thought I'd made the turquoise and orange sections totally different but where the squares meet you can see so do the turquoise and orange!  Instead of Mickey Mouse I stamped a typewriter from Michelle Marsen's Vintage set.  I coloured in some of the typewriter as it was not a dark enough image.  This was matted onto black card and stuck on the base card at an angle (note that it's still reasonably symmetrical - I just can't seem to do it any other way!).  To finish off I added a sentiment from Tim Holtz's Good Thoughts set.  An appropriate sentiment for me today I think, LOL. 
I am entering this into Gingersnap Creations Random Redhead Challenge (GC95) - Typewriters.

9 comments:

JeanFB said...

Love this Warhol design, and the type font on the sentiment! Gorgeous colors, too - if it works for you, why not go with it? I know what you mean about colors we gravitate towards. And I have the same oddity.... my favorite color is blue, but I wouldn't dream of decorating my home with it. Weird, LOL! Thanks so much for sharing your art with Gingersnap Creations!

stampdiva said...

Andy would be pleased.
Art is such a good resource, isn't it?
Lynne x

judyjstamper said...

Nice card Jack! That's what challenges do - make us think outside our comfort zone!

Beverly Gotthardt said...

Funny how we go through different periods of color :-) and some people have a style that they don't deviate from, that's o.k., too. I like your style and I like your creativity.

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is great! You are very neat and tidy, hasn't some of my mess rubbed off on you yet?!

Lucy x

Debi said...

This is REALLY cool- I love it! x

Shelly Schmidt said...

I love the technique- I do like the colors too. I was just looking at my gallery the other day, 4-5 colors over and over again...! I like the idea of going outside the comfort zone!

Julie Forest said...

Hi, Jack! Fabulous Warhol-esque typewriters! Great color combo, too! :)

Michele said...

this came out wonderfully Jack! enjoy your blue-turquoise-purple period! xo