Saturday, 26 February 2011

Where Dreams Are Made

Click on pic to enlarge and get a better view

The silver really makes Audrey shine!
Every time I use this stamp my friend comments on how much he likes this image so I decided to make him a little piece of artwork to put on his desk.  I also challenged myself to use the 'wrong side' of a canvas frame.  I find it so hard to turn these frames round and leave all that lovely blank, clean canvas untouched, lol.  Soooo, I turned my little box canvas over (its a 5x7 canvas) and stuck newspaper clippings all over the frame.  I used mainly film reviews for this but had to add a few record and DVD reviews as I only had one paper to work with.  Next I printed out a map of Hollywood and fitted that in the bottom of the frame.  I added silver stars to some of the places marked on the map.  Next made my film strip by cutting a strip of black card, then punching the holes with my Bind-It-All and then cutting out the apertures.  I fixed a piece of acetate behind and voila - film strip.  I stamped the lovely Audrey Hepburn (The Stampsmith stamps) onto the acetate and backed one frame with silver card.  This was then attached inside the frame on sticky pads to raise it off the background.  I printed the 'Where Dreams Are Made' and framed it with my computer and the word Hollywood was cut using an old Xcut Impress Alphabet with lots of added bling.  To finish off I scattered a few more stars and bling.
I am entering this into the following challenges:
The Stampsmith - Travel (off to Hollywood)
The Cheerful Stamp Pad - Anything But a Card
Crafty Catz - Friendship (Create something for a friend)

23 comments:

Melly said...

Oh its fab!
He will just love it! Its a stunning wee piece of artwork! I would proudly have that on my desk!
Gorjuss!
Hugs Melly xxx

SusieLou said...

It looks fab, Jack - well done! The film strip looks particularly good! Susie x

craftattack said...

This is great Jack, but I know what you mean about how hard it is to turn a canvas round! It always costs me a lot of swallowing to get it done!

Michele said...

Jack this is awesome! super stylish. thanks for sharing how you did it too. xo

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is brilliant! So inventive and so well executed! Know what you mean about the blank side of the canvas - why not decorate that too?

L x

Shar said...

Awesome! Love it...and I am a huge Audrey fan!

Mags said...

Woo! This is amazing! Really effective! And I'm another Audrey fan (did you ever see her in 'Charade' opposite the toe-meltingly gorgeous Cary Grant? Wonderful film!)

luv, Mags x

Terry said...

Well this turned out just stunning! I think I would have a difficult time using the wrong side also. Audrey would be happy!

Vicki Romaine said...

What a nice gift this will make. I love the face in the frame. Thanks for joining "Anything But a Card" at the Cheerful Stamp Pad. Hopefully you have become a follower and will return often to enter my challenges.

Michele Oliver said...

I love this idea. First saw this being done on these blogs. I am dying to try something like this

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Hi Jack
A fabulous creation,thankyou for joining us at CraftyCatz this week,
Hugs Dianne xx

melsanford said...

Oh wow! This is fab! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

craftytrog said...

It's stunning, just like Audrey! xx

2amscrapper said...

totally amazing artwork!

1CardCreator said...

You did an awesome job with this!

Dawn said...

I am just the same about reversing a canvass. But this really worked hun. What a great idea using a map of Hollywood very cool

Love Dawn xx

stampdiva said...

Jack finally you have faced your fears lol. Now you will always want to work with the canvas flipped over - gives so much more scope.
Appreciate you taking the time to join TSSC - you have supported this challenge site so well.
Lynne x

Karen McAlpine said...

Great use of the canvas. I have to try this technique! Love everything. That film strips is way cool! Thank you for joining us at the Stampsmith Challenge Blog.

Sue said...

This is a fabulous piece of art and so clever, I'm sure he'll love it. It's definitely a technique I'll try 'cos I hate staring at all that blank canvas lol x

Valerie H. Wilson said...

Fantastic piece! This is going to make wonderful desk art! So clever and wonderful of you to share all the ins and outs of how to do it! Must try this too! We're so glad you shared with us for The Stampsmith Challenge!
Cheers,
Val :)

Valerie H. Wilson said...

Hi Jack...
We are happy to feature this piece at The Stampsmith Challenge! Please click on the Email Valerie button on our blog and let me know that you would like our special badge for your sidebar! Thank you again for your continued support of our challenge!
Kind regards,
Val :)

Suzanne said...

A fantastic piece of art, thansk for joining us at Crafty Catz x

PetraB said...

Absolutely briiliant, a fabulous back canvas