Monday, 14 February 2011

Crafty Cardmakers Spotlight - Plastic

This week at Crafty Cardmakers we have a spotlight on using Plastic.  You can use any plastic - acetate, friendly plastick, shrink plastic, sweet wrappers, etc.  And this week Vix is offering a prize of Shrink Plastic to the winner.  I decided to play with acetate as I'd seen someone on TV make flowers with pre-printed acetate and thought to myself 'I can do that' lol. 
The first problem I came across was finding acetate that wasn't heat resistant.  Luckily I had some extra thick stuff that I'd bought from Joanna Sheen
I cut flower shapes from the acetate (harder than I thought as I used nesties and the acetate was too thick so I had to finish cutting with scissors) and then made a hole in the centre of each flower with my Big Bite.
 
Next I inked up the flowers using Alcohol Inks (Butterscotch, Wild Plum and Red Pepper).  I coloured both sides to intensify the colour.  Then holding each flower with tweezers I heated them with my heat gun until they went floppy.

 
While the flowers were still hot I dropped them onto a foam block and pushed a large embossing tool into the centre to shape.  If you don't get the shape you want you can reheat and try again.
I fixed flowers together with some bling brads (PaperMania)
 
The box was from Hobbycraft.  I painted it first with white acrylic paint and then I used Tesco Go Create Green Metallic paint.  I made the border by punching a strip of American Traditional Designs Brights paper with a Daisy Geo Punch.  The leaves on top were made using my McGill Pine punch with the same paper. 
 
The card was made with a white square blank and I used a corner-rounder on the corners.  The central panel is a square of green card with the corners punched using the Geo Punch.  The sentiment is from Hero Arts Anytime messages stamped onto a circle of green matted onto a scalloped circle and the leaves are made as above.  The little flowers in the corner were punched with my Woodware Multi Sun Flower punch and a little bling added to the centres.

17 comments:

Judie aka Craftymess said...

this is stunning Jack, great to see us both using tutorials as well, get us eh the plastic girlies lol, i love it and if its okay with you can i shove a link on my forum for other to see it

hugs
judie xx

craftattack said...

These are very pretty, something else for my to do list!

Josephine said...

These flowers are fabulous, and I'm tempted to have a go! But I don't need alcohol inks ... I wonder if I could do something similar with Promarkers.

melsanford said...

Oh wow - they are sooo pretty! Absolutely beautiful! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

Donna Mosley said...

Hi Jack, gorgeous box and those flowers are amazing. Thanks for the fab tut too.

Donna x

Eiglas said...

Vert pretty flowers - such a simple idea but so effective!
Hugs
Ei
x

Netty said...

Terrific flowers Jack and thank you for the demo. You have a great blog. Annette x

Terry said...

Fabulous flowers! Love the box and card and all the beautiful details!

Sarah_W said...

That's really pretty Jack! The flowers look really effective - think I will have to have a go at doing some. Just hope they won't fold up too much lol Sarah xx

Dora said...

Wow Jack, these flowers look awesome, what a fantastic idea. Got some acetate.. not the colours though and a button punch too which errm wants me to start using it more often he he :) Hugs Dora

Grace said...

Wow! A beautiful project! I love acetate... I used it too but left it basic compared to yours! I love heating acetate! Great job!!! TFS!

craftytrog said...

Wow! Those flowers are brilliant Jack! TFS! Your card & gift box are stunning x

Beverly Gotthardt said...

Your flowers turned out really cool. I'll have to give that a try.

Lucy Edmondson said...

These are just stunning! Completely your own idea and a brilliant tutorial too! I am so sorry I am behind with your blog and wish I had seen these before you visited yesterday. Can I see the box itf on Friday? Hope we can make these together soon - absolutely enchanted by them!

Lucy xx

Ali Manning said...

What a great project - I love how you created those flowers - so cool!

Made by Mandy said...

What a fabulous project. I just love the dimension you have been able to create with those flowers. You are clever.

Love Mandy xxx

SusieLou said...

Wow, these flowers look amazing!

Dream Valley is going to fab, just like the friendly team we have!! Susie x