Monday, 11 October 2010

Fancy Folds

This week at Crafty Cardmakers it's time for a spotlight and the theme is folded cards.  I decided to go for something a little different and made this Star card.  It's base on an accordian card.  The image on the front is (of course) by Penny Black and the star is decorated with paper I made using Azure Sea Aster Starburst Stains and snowflake stamps stamped with Brilliance Mediterranean Blue.  Below is how I made it:

 

Cut 5 squares of card (I usd 14cm squares).  Fold in half horizontally and vertically and then diagonally from top left to bottom right.


Push the corners with the diagonal folds towards each other so they look like a frogs mouth, then push flat.  You should end up with a square a quarter of the original size. 

Repeat with all five squares of paper.

Stack all five squares on top of one another, gluing each square to the next one until you have all five stuck in a stack.

They should end up looking like this.

Alternative view of all five folded squares stuck in a stack.

Decorate all exposed surfaces (I used 3 sheets of A4 for this).

Another view of the sides decorated.

Attach a piece of ribbon around the folded squares diagonally.  Use a length of ribbon at least 4 times the measurement of the diagonal of the folded square  plus a little extra (my square measured 10 cm so I used 50 cm ribbon)
Make and decorate two covers exactly the same size as the folded squares and attach on each side of the stack.  Thread both ends of the ribbon through some large holed beads (pony beads) and then tie a knot in the ribbon.  This forms the closure for the book and the star.
To open the star, slide the beads up to the knot (be careful not to slide them right off), open the card out until back and front covers are back to back and slide the beads back down the ribbon.
I am entering this into the following challenges:
Bah! Humbug - Cuties (got to be a PB Hedgehog)
Totally Gorjuss - Not a Square
C.R.A.F.T. - Shaped card

13 comments:

Eiglas said...

Very cute project and thank you for the detailed instructions - I'll have a go at this for the Christmas tree!
Hugs
Ei
x

Wishcraft said...

So cute and I love your fold - great idea :o) Lisa x

Max said...

Fantastic project Jack! Who doesn't love PB hedgies? They are top of my cutie list! Thank you for sharing with us at Bah! Humbug!

Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx
Max's Craft Creations
Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT

Crafty_Fairie said...

Fab project thanks so much for sharing all the details with us at Craft Challenge.

Good Luck

Kerry (GDT OCT)

Irene said...

What a fabulous Christmas project - it's gorgeous.
I love the cool blues and your PB hedgie - he is so sweet and just perfect for our challange.

Thank you so much for joining in our latest challange.

irene
Bah!Humbug!

stampdiva said...

Did you get my comment?
There was a hitch. Will say again, this is a shorter version.
In awe of what you created. So complicated. Amazing work, once again my friend. Lynne x

Josephine said...

A fabulous project, and one I'll have to try some time, so many thanks for the instructions!

starcyl said...

What a great project, I do like your little cutie too.

Jenny x

carol said...

wow well done, lot's of work put into this,thanks for playing along with C.R.A.F.T. challenge this week, x carol

Ann said...

Fab creations - worth the work you put in.
Ann xxx
Bah! Humbug! DT

Annette said...

I love the clever folds of this fun card! Thanks for sharing your lovely creation with us at the CRAFT Challenge this week.

Paddington fan said...

What a fantastic project and thank you for the brilliant detailed instructions too. I love PB hedgies too!! Thanks for joining us at CRAFT this week and good luck! love Jacky x

Made by Mandy said...

Thanks Jack for letting me know about the You tube link for the cad I made. I knew there had to be one somewhere. You are a likkle star.

Love your star decoration, great to see something different. I love kinetic cards like this as they are more unusual.