Wednesday, 31 March 2010

Beads turning blue . . .


I decided to make another 5 string necklace for my sister's birthday. I had forgotten how difficult it was to finish off but soon learned my lesson. The stringing part was really easy, then you have to thread each thread through a tiny crimp bead, then a 5mm bead, then a wire guardian, then back through the 5mm bead and then back through the crimp bead and crimp it tight. It went quite well with the first end of the necklace but the second end . . . !!!! First of all one of the strings decided to empty itself all over the floor - lucky for me only the small crystals and not the seed beads. Once they were rethreaded the fun started as I theaded each string through the crimp/bead/guardian/bead/crimp. The difficulty is in keeping all the threads tight, not helped by the fact that this time I had used thicker thread. By the time I was satisfied and ready to crimp the air was definitely blue. The earrings were not easy either as I had to thread the beads onto a headpin, make a loop and attach direct to the candelabra as there wasn't room for jump rings. Still my sister was thrilled with the necklace but I promise I shall not be making another one like this ever again!!

2 comments:

stampdiva said...

Oh MY!!! I cannot begin to tell you how much I LOVE THIS. Would your sister be kind enough to share with me LOL. Lynne x

Lottie said...

You do have a lot of patience- and your sister has been well rewarded for your efforts. I am so glad that it went to her - at least you can still see the set.

The necklace and earrings are stunning - I have enlarged the photo to study them in great detail.

They remind me of Ancient Egpyt for some reason - Cleopatra is rich jade. Hmm off to day dream